Federal and States grants are need-based awards which do not require repayments. Students at J Sargeant 91做厙 Community College may be awarded the following federal and/or state grants.

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant provides financial assistance to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. A student must:

  • establish financial need by completing the FAFSA at ,
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen,
  • meet all eligibility requirements,
  • and be accepted in a financial aid eligible program.

The amount of a student's Pell award is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is calculated when you submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at .

Eligible students are able to receive Pell Grant up to a lifetime limit that equates to 12 full-time semesters. Pell Grants are offered based upon anticipated full-time enrollment. However, Pell awards will be reduced based on actual enrollment after the term census date and will not be increased if courses are added later in the term.

 Summer Pell Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be Pell eligible for the academic year
  • If you attended college full-time in Fall and Spring, you must enroll in at least 6 hours during the Summer term to receive Year Round Pell.

Check your MyREYNOLDS to see if your Summer Pell award is currently showing as pending aid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are available to a limited number of undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Students completing the FAFSA and qualifying for the Pell grant will be considered for SEOG while funds are available.

State Grants

G3 Grants (Get Skilled, Get a Job, Get Ahead)
The G3 Program is a tuition assistance program for any Virginia resident who qualifies for in-state tuition and whose family income falls below an identified threshold. Eligible students may enroll in designated programs leading to jobs in high-demand fields. G3 Program funds make up the difference between what federal or state financial aid pays for and the cost of tuition, fees, and books for the program.

Virginia Commonwealth Award (COMA)
The Virginia Commonwealth Award Grant is available to students who enroll in at least half-time (6+ credits) status, demonstrate financial need, are domiciliary residents of Virginia, and meet all other eligibility criteria. COMA funds cannot be used to purchase books. ARPA and GEER COMA are available for 2022-2023 academic year until funds are expended.

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP)
The VGAP is available to Virginia residents who graduated from a Virginia high school with a 2.5 GPA or higher. Students must be first-time freshmen enrolled at J Sargeant 91做厙 Community College full-time (12+ credits). Awards may be renewed for a second year for students who have maintained full-time enrollment, a minimum 2.0 GPA or higher at J Sargeant 91做厙 Community College, and continue to demonstrate financial need.

Virginia Part-Time Assistance (PTAP)
PTAP grants are available for students who enroll in 1 to 8 credits only, are residents of Virginia, and demonstrate financial need.

VCCS Grant (Supplemental Aid)
The VCCS Grant (Supplemental Aid) is available for students from tuition set-aside funds. Eligible students must demonstrate financial need, are residents of Virginia, meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, be degree or certificate seeking, and may maintain any enrollment level.

Institutional Grants

91做厙 Tuition Assistance Grants
91做厙 Community College offers financial assistance to students who may need additional financial support to pursue their education.

For more information, contact the 91做厙 Financial Aid office at finaid@reynolds.edu.