Emergency Loans

In instances where students may need assistance with bills due to sudden, extenuating circumstances, funds may be available in the form of an emergency loan. Students interested in emergency loans may receive up to $1,500 to help with the costs that include rent, transportation, food, and other expenses associated with attending college during the academic year. Emergency loans are for non-academic expenses and cannot be used to purchase textbooks or other things covered by financial aid.


  • Be a registered 91做厙 Community College student during the semester in which funds would be applied
  • Be eligible for financial aid
  • Provide documentation of the emergency

Emergency loan requests are reviewed and discussed on a case-by-case basis. While emergency funds are not guaranteed, we make every effort to help support student needs. Emergency loans come from Foundation funds, but must be repaid through expected financial aid refunds. 

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP, also known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, can help you and your family get the money you need to buy nourishing food to keep you happy and healthy. If you are found to be eligible, the benefits will be loaded onto an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, which you can use like a debit card to pay for groceries. 

This could free up money to use toward other essentials, such as rent and utilities. 

Am I eligible for SNAP benefits?

In order to be eligible for SNAP benefits as a college student (a college student is defined as someone taking 6 or more credits a semester), your household must meet income requirements as well at least one of the following exemptions:

  • Are under age 18 or are 50 or older.
  • Work at least 20 hours a week in paid employment.
  • Care for a child under the age of 6.
  • Care for a child aged 6 to 11 and lack the necessary child care enabling you to attend school and work 20 hours a week or participate in work study.
  • Are a single parent enrolled full-time in college and taking care of a child under 12.
  • Participate in a state or federal work study program.
  • Have a physical or mental disability.
  • Participate in an on-the-job training program.
  • Receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) assistance.

For other exemptions, visit

Income Requirements

In most cases, your household must meet both the gross and net income limits described below or you are not eligible for SNAP and cannot receive benefits.

Gross income means a household's total, non-excluded income, before any deductions have been made.

Net income means gross income minus allowable deductions.

A household with an elderly or disabled person only has to meet the net income limit, as described on the elderly and disabled page.

If all members of your household are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or in some places other general assistance, your household may be deemed “categorically eligible” for SNAP because you have already been determined eligible for another means-tested program.

The information provided in the table below applies to households in the 48 contiguous states, the District of Columbia, Guam, and U.S. Virgin Islands that apply for SNAP between Oct. 1, 2023, through Sept. 30, 2024.

Table 1: SNAP Income Eligibility Limits - Oct. 1, 2023, through Sept. 30, 2024
Household Size Gross monthly income
(130 percent of poverty)
Net monthly income
(100 percent of poverty)
1 $1,580 $1,215
2 $2,137 $1,644
3 $2,694 $2,072
4 $3,250 $2,500
5 $3,807 $2,929
6 $4,364 $3,357
7 $4,921 $3,785
8 $5,478 $4,214
Each additional member +$557 +$429

Immigrant Eligibility

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may still be eligible to apply for SNAP. For more information review the following website:

SNAP Application

You can apply for SNAP by going to and filling out the application online or by phone at 833-522-5582.

If you need assistance with completing the application, please reach out to Student Support Services by email, phone, or completing our

Additional sources for assistance

Once you have spoken with a member of Student Support Services, you may be directed to additional resources.

  • 91做厙 Mentoring Programs
    Students can be matched with a staff or faculty member to help guide them through the academic year and receive extra support and guidance. For more information and to access the application, please visit reynolds.edu/mentor .
  • New Health Coverage for Adults
    If you applied for Medicaid in the past and were denied, you may now be eligible. For more information about the new coverage, including answers to frequently asked questions, visit . You can contact Student Support Services if you have any questions or need assistance.